Copyright © oluwatosin
Design by Dzignine

Thursday, May 8, 2014

work experience week / day four

Today was, by far, my favorite (so far).

It started with me in the folder room, as my supervisor was not around to show me where I would stay when I first arrived. I had some more interaction with the people from the folder room, who asked if I was going to be with them today. I said no as an act of faith. They were nice to hang out with I guess, but I was over paperwork.

I then saw Mrs Peters and was directed to the pharmacy. In the pharmacy I tried counting out the number of pills that would go in a prescription bottle, and failed miserably. I refused to use the curved edged of the spoon as it only confused me and using the narrow edge was incredibly painstaking. Luckily, I was then called to go to the operating room -- finally!



I changed into scrubs and wore my mask and what looked like a spongy hairnet. Everyone told us not to faint, just as they did when we were going to watch the deliveries. In my head I thought, "I've watched way too many Grey's Anatomy episodes for there to be a possibility of fainting."

Obviously things didn't look it did on TV, or in textbooks, for that matter. I'm pretty sure the average lawyer could have easily gone through life without ever knowing that the uterus looks like a ball. (As you can guess, I watched a C-Section)

The standing around bit was exhausting, mostly because the "scrub shoes" given to us were extremely uncomfortable, but besides that, I don't like standing. Really, the whole thing (really only the first five minutes, the rest was just suturing) was interesting, but I do not think I'll become a surgeon. Maybe, but probably not. One thing I thought about, was when I saw the fat of the woman's belly, I wondered if one could just cut it out. Do her a favor of some sort. I decided it wasn't the best thing to ask, however. (She was under local anesthesia and therefore still awake.)

After surgery, I went back to the pharmacy, but didn't really stick around for long. It was extremely boring and I hoped my schoolmate was not doing anything too interesting without me. After I left and came back for lunch, Ms Ayo spotted me and asked where I had been, and then directed me to the consulting rooms. I was ecstatic, even more so than when I was called to the operating room.

It was antenatal day, so everyone that came into the room was a pregnant woman. That made things a little less exciting, but exciting nonetheless. I watched the doctor, Dr. Ayo, ask them basic questions, and then she (later I) got to check for the position of the baby (if the head was downwards or not; if not the woman would likely need a C-Section. This made a couple cry, please don't ask me why.) and fetal heart rate.

At the end of the day, I got some corn and Maltina. It's a great combination, mind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment