Copyright © oluwatosin
Design by Dzignine

Saturday, May 3, 2014

the advantaged nigerian


As an advantaged Nigerian, never have I ever used the government's public transport system, with buses so crowded that your head is forced on the sweaty shoulder of someone sitting next to you, and their drivers so rough that most of the buses are falling apart. Taking a taxi is no option either, as they're always shared (which is ridiculous on its own) to the extent that a five-seater holds ten. 

Instead I take a nice car everywhere I go, driven by a hired driver. I'm also quite annoyed when the beggars (most often children)
take notice of the car and leave other cars to knock on our doors. My friends at school have expressed having the same problem -- but there are only five people in my grade, so I don't have many people to compare it with. Relatively expensive private schools do have this problem of having very little people in the school, but I've been attending them for a long time, so I'm used to it. It's much better than having 200+ in a grade and 50 pupils in a single room not much larger than my bedroom, with one A/C that probably doesn't work and two ceiling fans. 

My friends and I also agree that we don't really go anywhere -- not that there's anywhere to go, but we don't have the choice. The places we go to are School, Home, Church. The househelps go to the market, there aren't any proper malls, the cinemas are boring and filled with equally as boring people, and you really can't "just take a walk" unless you live in an estate -- which I do. But still. All I do is look out the window, occasionally buying some soda from a fifteen year old hawker, too busy opening my drink to think about the fact that he'll only have one meal today.

I've been privileged, to not have to worry about many things, but the fact that I am missing out on cultural experiences (to be fair though, I'm Yoruba and live in Igbo Land) such as being able to speak my native language or having a full set of traditional clothes, is disheartening. It really can't go on much longer. Also, I've decided to stop simply looking at these beggars or hawkers or drivers and maybe start actually seeing them, even if it means that I must pop my bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment